The WWF is run at a local level by the following offices...
- WWF Global
- Central African Republic
- Central America
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- European Policy Office
Six South African chefs have earned the prestigious WWF-SASSI Trailblazer title in 2020 for their commitment to the use of sustainable seafood on their menus.
This year marks a 16-year journey of the WWF Southern African Sustainable Seafood Initiative (SASSI) programme which has become a popular household name across SA.
This has been achieved by building knowledge about seafood species and collectively working with consumers, chefs, restaurants, retailers/supplier and fisheries to fundamentally shift attitudes towards understanding the complex issue of seafood sustainability and drive informed choices.
This year, six South African chefs, who play a pivotal role in this journey, have been awarded WWF-SASSI Trailblazer status for their commitment to the use of sustainable seafood and championing sustainable seafood practices in their restaurants.
The 2020 WWF-SASSI Trailblazer recipients are:
- Chef Andrew Atkinson (Shalati)
- Chef Neill Anthony (La Mouette)
- Chef Judi Fourie (Pilcrow & Cleaver)
- Chef Jamie Friedberg (Between Us)
- Chef Christina Semczyszyn (Tjing Tjing)
- Chef Jess Van Dyk (Protege)
The chefs were chosen on the basis of the following factors which has rigorous criteria:
- The restaurant’s seafood sustainability policy.
- The effectiveness of their communication of their seafood sustainability practices to their customers, employees and suppliers.
- Their level of engagement in communicating their seafood sustainability practices to a wider audience.
- The ‘Trailblazer factor’ – chefs and restaurants going the extra mile in promoting and supporting seafood sustainability.
Pavs Pillay, manager of the WWF-SASSI Programme, said: “Chefs serve as the gatekeepers for the food and hospitality industry and so play a critical role in leading market forces, influencing popular taste and promoting ocean-friendly seafood. Chefs that lead the way in sustainability are true ocean stewards. Our partnership with them is inspired by their commitment to help restore our overexploited seafood species and safeguard our ocean. The chefs we recognise have gone the extra mile in advocating the sustainability message. Congratulations to all the winners."