The WWF is run at a local level by the following offices...
- WWF Global
- Central African Republic
- Central America
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- European Policy Office
Project Coordinator: Succulent Karoo (Newlands, Cape Town)
WWF is the world’s largest and most respected independent conservation organisation, with over 6 million supporters and a global network active in over 100 countries. WWF's mission is to stop the degradation of the Earth's natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature, by conserving the world's biological diversity, ensuring that the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable, and promoting the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption.
WWF South Africa is a national office that is part of the WWF network. We are a local NGO that has worked for 50 years with the aim of inspiring all South Africans to live in harmony with nature, for the benefit of our country and the wellbeing of all our people. WWFs work is for nature, for you.
Our work is challenging and exciting and we love what we do. To join our team you need to be brilliant at what you do, passionate, results-orientated and have a positive attitude.
Environmental Programmes Unit
(1 year fixed term contract position based in Newlands, Cape Town)
WWF is looking for a motivated individual to drive our engagements within the Succulent Karoo and deliver WWF’s conservation objectives. The Project Coordinator will be responsible for developing, leading and implementing a programme of work based on the WWF South Africa Strategy for the Succulent Karoo. The Project Coordinator will facilitate a network of landscape initiatives resulting in protection from adverse impacts through appropriate and innovative mechanisms whilst providing opportunities to explore sustainable land use practices to the benefit of the environment and people.
WWF-SA invites applications for the position of Project Coordinator to support the work of the Land Programme within the Succulent Karoo focus area. The Land Programme vision of success is:
- Enable the conservation of South Africa’s natural assets in priority landscapes through appropriate and innovative protected area expansion mechanisms (such as land purchase, stewardship, biodiversity compatible management and formal declaration).
- Focus the protected area expansion efforts of WWF-SA in priority landscapes ensuring alignment with the National Protected Area Expansion Strategy, Provincial Conservation Priorities and other relevant spatial products and strategies
- Explore a socially inclusive approach to WWF’s Protected Area expansion (through initiatives such as Land Reform and Biodiversity Stewardship, holistic biodiversity friendly management, biodiversity management lease arrangements and other cooperative conservation models)
The project management portfolio includes work under the following areas within the Succulent Karoo:
- Innovative Protected Area Expansion mechanisms and models (including land acquisition and Stewardship) promoting living landscapes in priority corridors
- Testing new ideas and concepts around building socio-ecological resilience in key landscapes
Project Management and Project Coordination
- Administrative and technical input into Project development
- Manage Project Executant relationships around project development and contractual agreements
- Co-ordinate internal WWF submissions for new projects in collaboration with admin support
- Organising of contractual agreements for project disbursements
- Track work plans and activities within projects and liaise between Programme Manager and Project Executants on agreed outputs
- Track Programme Technical and Financial reporting in association with Project Executants (incoming reports)
- Collate Project activities into external reports (as required, either contractually or ad hoc requests);
- Manage Land Programme and Project finances against budgets
- Ensure adherence to WWF Internal reporting on a quarterly basis and Technical Progress Reports
- Other relevant operational activities as needs arise
- Oversee project evaluation.
- Relevant conservation degree/qualification;
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in Protected Area Management, Environmental or Biodiversity Management, Biophysical Research sectors;
- Knowledge and understanding of the South African environmental sector, role players and respective mandates; specifically the South Africa’s Protected Areas Network and Stewardship Programmes
- Excellent administrative and project management skills and experience;
- Independent thinking and working capabilities as well as the ability to engage across organisation and hierarchical levels;
- Self-managed individual with good planning and prioritizing skills to manage a varied and pressurized workload and deliver results.
- Stakeholder engagement and facilitation skills;
- Valid driver’s license and own transportation essential and valid South African citizenship or resident status
- Computer literate - in word processing (MS Word), spread sheets (Excel), email and presentations (MS PowerPoint) including working knowledge of GIS
- Proven team player, willing to accept additional responsibility, show initiative, and proactively work to exceed targets.
- Excellent presentation, interpersonal and communication, skills.
- Fluency in English and one other African language.
- Valid driver’s license with substantial experience in driving off-road
To apply please click here fill out the application form, and provide a detailed CV and covering letter (attach under “Documents”) fully motivating why you should be appointed, together with the names, current e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of three relevant references.
Applications close on 14th April 2019. Applications sent via email will not be considered.
WWF seeks to promote diversity among its staff. Candidates who have not received a response within three weeks of the closing date are kindly requested to assume that their application has not been successful in this instance. WWF-SA reserves the right not to fill this position.
if you think this position is for you ...